Wednesday, July 29, 2015

'Old Familiar Faces', Pt. 2 - Nature Journal, July 2015

July 3rd, 2015 Friday   Garden Center Creek
I feel like I should give the creek a nicer name than just 'the garden center one'. It's really my favorite spot at work, and it deserves a nice name. 'Gardenside Brook'? I wonder if there is a difference between 'creek' and 'brook'...
Lead of a weed.
They've got sinister
dark splotches in the center
of the leaves.
Color is perhaps a little more
dark blue-green.

Must identify these plants I draw!

July 10th, 2015 Friday   Garden Creek
The sun is out, and the sky is blue! This week has been wet and rainy. Really, the whole 'summer' has been miserably wet.
Yesterday I went home early because it was constantly drizzling. I've been parking at the garden center so I don't have to walk far in the rain.
Today's high is 76*F. I don't think it's hardly gotten in the 80's this year.
I'm surprised at how long some plants can keep on living in the squares and pots, even though the soil is practically all roots instead of dirt.
Found out that canna lilies are not perennials. You have to dig them up & replant in the spring, if you want to make sure they survive. This confused me, since out cannas came back every year, on their own. Jeanne [at the garden center] says they must have been in a good, protected spot.
Almost regretting getting rid of them.
The new flowers we put in seem to be doing well! We really need to weed, though.

July 16th, 2015 Thursday   Pymatuning Lake Campground
Here we are, once again, at Pymatuning Lake! Our camping spot is different, though, because some eagles are nesting where we used to go. We are still next to water, though!
There is a crabapple tree two or so spaces down. A walnut tree, too? There was a strange sight on that tree -- hundreds of fuzzy white caterpillars! They covered the surface of leaves and branches. They were black-bodied with white fuzz.

July 17th, 2015 Friday   Pymatuning Lake
It is cloudy and chilly today.
There was a tiny caterpillar on my tent this morning, green-bodied with white fuzz.
Dad and I saw duck, too -- ten of them! I just call them 'the brown kind', I don't know what kind they were. I certainly have a lot to research when I get home!
Heard that weird yowling bird, but of course didn't see it. I will find out what you are!

The 'black-bodied'
caterpillar --
actually white
w/black spots










For some reason, one of the trees
had random clumps of leaves that
had turned red. Some had dropped.
Very waxy, shiny leaf.






July 18th, 2015 Saturday   Pymatuning Lake
It thundered and rained a bit last night. Later in the afternoon the clouds cleared a bit. Wore a long-sleeved shirt, and jacket most of the day.
This morning is much brighter & warmer than yesterday. It was actually warmer Friday night than Thursday night.
There was the 'green-bodied' caterpillar on my tent again -- it's actually an off-white, with a greenish tinge, with yellow spots on its sides and black spots along the top.
There was a goose with something wrong with its neck that like to stand on one of the logs out on the water. The feather on its neck were gone -- scratched a lot at it, and there were sores. It also cleaned its feathers almost obsessively. Mom said it might be a nervous habit; she said she doesn't see why animals wouldn't have that, like people.
The water is murky brown-green. There's a film on it in the morning, but it fades later.
Farewell, Pymatuning! Until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment