Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Dear Blogger... -- Narration for Anne Frank's 'A Diary of a Young Girl'

Tuesday, 7 July, 2015

Dear Blogger,

I have been reading Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl. I've always just called it 'Anne Frank', though. It's really hard to understand that it was the diary of a real person. I've read historical fiction diary-type books before, so it's hard to see Anne as real.

I was surprised how soon she and her family had to go into hiding. In real time, it was a few months; but reading it, it's only a few minutes. I like how she remarked, "What's it like to disappear? I'm not really sure, myself, yet."

Obviously, they must be very quiet at times, but life goes on fairly normal. Anne even has friends over to stay the night in the "Secret Annexe".

I suppose I didn't explain the events well, did I? It seems like on of those books where everyone knows the main story already. Anne and her family, being Jewish (during Hitler's time), go into hiding in the back of an office building. It's called the "Secret Annexe". They are living there with the Van Doon (Daan) family -- a dad, a mom, and a son named Peter. Anne's family is Daddy, Mummy, and her older sister Margot.

Like I said, things are pretty normal. Anne even does school.

Anne seems like such an easygoing, yet sensitive girl. She's called a chatterbox, yet her entries are thoughtful. No one seems to think her very bright, yet her entries are surprisingly insightful. Anne understand herself as a person, and just wishes everyone else would see her that way.

That's all I have to share today.

Yours, Lee

(Phrases in parentheses are later edits on original narration, for clarification and correction. Narration is mimicking Anne's own diary entries.)

1 comment:

  1. I like how you did it oh the same style. Yes, it is hard to imagine this was a real experience but it is good to have this history to learn from. I look forward to reading more from you about this book.

    ReplyDelete