Sunday, May 31, 2015

Graduation and Beyond: Continuing My Education

I am officially D-O-N-E with high school!
What next?

I've decided to continue my education. I may be done with official, formal high school, but there are so many books I didn't read, or didn't finish, from AmblesideOnline's booklist. I started AO with year 7, and went up to Yr 11/12. The years before that I missed, but my brother got to start with year 5. From him often I heard about these books that he greatly enjoyed, that I missed. Being a book lover, naturally, I must have a list of books to read, but I can't just read literature (though I would really like to just read Jane Austen and Sherlock Holmes...)
So, I went to AO's grand booklist, and picked a few!

Booklist:
Bible - continuing reading
The Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel - Bible topic
Ourselves, by Charlotte Mason - Citizenship; finish reading
The Complete Book of Marvels, by Richard Halliburton - Geography
The Microbe Hunters, by Paul de Kruif - Science; finish reading
Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman - Worldview; restart
Silas Marner, by George Eliot - Literature; restart
The Once and Future King, by T. H. White - Literature
Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank - History
The Birth of Britain, by Winston Churchill - History
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt - Economics; finish reading
On Writing Well, by William Zinsser - Grammar/Writing; finish reading
Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves (Fairie Queene), by Roy Maynard - Poetry
Paradise Lost, by John Milton - Poetry
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams - Free Read
The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins - Free Read
Vaughn Williams - Composer Study
Artist Study - continuing alongside Fox's study
Hymns/Folksongs - continuing alongside Fox's study
Julius Caesar - Shakespeare

Additional Study:
Nature Study
Handicrafts
Art
Writing
Japanese
Piano

For right now, this is just a beginning list - I have another, larger one, for sure! Now, how am I going to tackle this list, working full-time as I am? I am going to set up a schedule for my reading, in which these books are spread out during a month. If I want to get through any of this list, I'll have to read several books at once (that's hard for me - I like to read through one book at a time, quickly). Some of them I will only read once a week, or every other week, or perhaps just once a month.

I'm still working out the details of my schedule, but at least for now I have my list. I'll be using my blog to track my progress, and share with you from my readings and projects. I plan to post at least twice a month.

This is my new focus for my blog - the continuing education of Lee, CM and AO graduate, author, poet, artist, reader.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment